Dodge Volume II p19 Reflection BLOG

• When I change my cousin’s diaper, I feel that it is a stressful process as they struggle to get out of the diaper changing area. I also feel a little grossed out as I am changing their diaper as I do not like to see the mess that the child has made. When I change a child’s diaper, I try to do it as quickly as possible. So, I feel I don’t make a big impact on the child as I feel like I should when I change the child’s diaper. If I have no choice to change a diaper, I will make sure the child feels safe in my hands as I change their diaper. I have not had any professional experience change diapers at day school, but I would like to learn more about the procedures needed to professionally change a child’s diaper rather than changing my cousin’s diaper a couple times. 
  • I have never experienced a child making a toilet accident, but if I were to, I would try my best to let the child know that it is not their fault and that accidents happen. If a child were to state that they have made an accident, I would say, “Uh oh, looks like we made an accident. It is ok, accidents happen all the time! Let us get you cleaned so you can go back to playing.” I would make sure the child is ok and get the child cleaned up feeling better about themselves. It is important to not shame the child or make them feel bad for making an accident, but to help them inform you sooner when they must go to the restroom. 
  • One thing I want to teach children about their bodies is to inform the teachers that they must go to the bathroom before they make an accident. This can include having the child say “bathroom” or even having the child come up to the teacher when they need to go. I would also want to teach the child about making sure they are clean when using the bathroom. This can include wiping and washing their hands after they are done.